Ah, banana bread! Is there anything more delicious!? This is the best and easiest banana bread recipe you'll make. Everything can go in one bowl = less washing up!
Over the years I've made many different banana bread recipes - some are more 'cakey', some need an electric mixer and multiple bowls, some are crumbly but all of them are equally delicious.
But I must say I've found the perfect banana bread recipe - it's a one-bowl-wonder, no electric mixers needed and it holds together really well so you can pop it in the toaster and it won't break! It's freezable and absolutely perfect for adding to lunchboxes.
Here's what you need:
- 225 grams mashed banana (4 small or 3 large ripe ones)
- 107 grams firmly packed brown sugar
40 grams butter
118 ml buttermilk (see note)
59 ml golden syrup
180 grams plain flour
120 grams cups self-raising flour
2 tsp mixed spice or cinnamon
1 tsp bicarb soda
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees / 160 degrees fan-forced. Grease and line a loaf pan
- Combine banana, sugar, eggs, butter, buttermilk and golden syrup in a large bowl
- Stir in sifted dry ingredients and mix until just combined
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan
- Bake for about 1 hour. Stand bread in pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto wire rack to cool.
- Once cooled, slice to your desired thickness. Serve fresh or freeze individual slices in the freezer and add to your lunchbox when you need them.
- If you don't have buttermilk, simply use any milk of your choice with a teaspoon of vinegar and allow to 'sour' for a few minutes before using
Adapted from the Australian Women's Weekly Cookbooks